Did you know?

Interesting Fruit Facts

Apple Illustration

— Apples —

There is proof that man has enjoyed apples for at least 750,000 years.

Apples were a favorite of the ancient Romans and Greeks.

Early settlers of the United States brought apple seeds with them.

Apples are one of the most valuable fruit crops in the United States.

Washington State produces about 70% of the apples in the United States.

7,500 apple varieties are grown worldwide, yet 15 popular varieties make up 90%+ of all U.S. apple production.

Pear Illustration

— Pears —

California, Oregon and Washington make up the majority of pear production.

These 3 states in 2014, produced 776 million pounds of pears

Other U.S. states that produce pears: Michigan, New York, and Pennsylvania

Pears can be separated into two types: European or French

Pear’s sweet, but not overbearing flavor makes them an ideal fruit for processing.

The largest export market for fresh pears was Mexico, followed by Canada and Russia.

Cherries Illustration

— Cherries —

Washington leads the nation in sweet cherry production.

Washington, California and Oregon are the primary sweet cherry states (representing 90% of all production)

Michigan is the primary tart cherry state (representing 74% of all production)

Cherries rank as one of the Top 20 foods with the highest concentration of Antioxidants

Cherries can be used in a variety of ways, like fresh, frozen and canned, or as juice, wine, brined or dried.

76% of sweet cherries are destined for the fresh market, with the remaining 24% used for processing.

99% of tart cherries are used for processing.