Serving Size: 8
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound uncooked breakfast sausage links
- 3 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium firm, fresh Stadelman Apples (peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 8 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 scallions, green part only, sliced thin
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. When shimmering, add the breakfast sausage and cook according to the package instructions. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate, and set the skillet aside without draining. When the sausage is cooled, cut on a bias into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Add the cut sausage, bread, apples, and cheddar to the same skillet you used to cook the sausage. Stir to mix everything together.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl and whisk in the milk, cream, Dijon, salt, and pepper. Pour the eggs into the skillet.
- Bake until the eggs are set and top is light golden-brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with scallions and serve hot.