Serving Size: 16
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 2 c fresh Stadelman Cherries (pitted and quartered, measure after slicing)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- ¼ c unsweetened applesauce
- ½ c brown sugar
- ¼ tsp Almond extract
- ¼ c old-fashioned Oats
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine, chilled
- Preheat the oven to 350°, and lightly coat an 8”-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare the filling, combine the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and almond extract in a large bowl, stirring well to evenly coat the cherries with the other ingredients. Set aside.
- To prepare the crust, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl stir together the butter and applesauce. Mix in the brown sugar and almond extract. Pour in the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Evenly spread the cherry filling on top of the crust.
- To prepare the topping, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the butter using the back of a fork or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cherry filling. Bake at 350° for 33-36 minutes, or until the cherry filling is hot and the crust appears baked through.
- Set on a wire rack to cool to room temperature, and let the bars sit at room temperature for at least 1-2 hours before slicing into squares.