Serving Size: 8
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 1 Hour
- 2 lbs. of pitted Stadelman sweet cherries
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. bourbon
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 2 packages refrigerated pie dough
- Egg wash, for brushing pie crust
- Coarse sanding sugar, for pie crust
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine Stadelman pitted cherries, sugar, bourbon, orange juice and zest, and cornstarch. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes. Refrigerate until cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Roll out pie crust into a 9″ pie plate and slice the second crust into thin strips. Transfer cherry mixture to pie plate and top with a lattice crust. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake until filling is bubbly and crust lightly golden, 37 to 40 minutes more. Cool on wire rack.